All roads have bumps, journeys have detours, apples have worms. Ok, so maybe not all apples have worms. My journey has had a few bumps. My pathology report changed from triple negative to HER2 positive when the actual mass was removed and biopsied. This meant a change in chemo plans. Next, another surgery as I got an infection and had to have the spacer on my right side removed and the cavity cleaned. So now I have my port a cath installed on my chest (no IV's yay!!) and have healed from all surgeries, and am due to start chemotherapy on Monday, 10/19/15. (TCH+P is the lovely name of my chemo cocktail) I will have treatment every 21 days for 5 months, followed by a year of just the P portion of the cocktail. I am looking forward to getting this next phase rolling and dreading it at the same time. If you have any extra positive thoughts, please send them my way.
Triple Negative Stage 2 Invasive ductal carcinoma. Such scary sounding names. Breast cancer. Double Mastectomy. Surgery went well. Healing is going well. Chemo will be next. I am looking on the bright side....this means I will need all new tops for next summer, once I finish reconstruction. So I see lots of sewing on the horizon! Thank you for the positive thoughts and well wishes!!
I Love this T. It is Vogue 8451 with a much altered sleeve. I made it in 2009. I still wear it, but the fabric has seen it's better days, so now it is just a weekend T.
I decided to replace it.
Vogue 8451, but I used the Sewaholic Renfrew sleeve, as the Vogue sleeve has a ridiculous amount of ease, so I went with something I knew fit the way I liked.
You would think I would have at least thought about large target placement! But with only 1 yard, I did not have much choice in layout. I think the resulting starburst on one breast is kind of hilarious, and has not stopped me from wearing it.
This neckline has an actual facing. I used the facing on the original T shirt, and it layed beautifully and still has never stretched out, so I thought why not give it another go. So this neckline too is faced. I interfaced the facing with a light knit fusible. Once it was attached and understitched, I just serged it of to be the width I wanted and the did a double needle topstitch from the outside. It does not lay perfectly flat. I think washing and drying may fix it. If not, it does not really bother me, so I will enjoy my new shirt anyway!
Since my TNT jacket pattern was already out on the cutting table, I thought I would give my 'Morris'd' version a try in a woven fabric. I had a beautiful piece of stretch denim, grey, white and black flowers. Only a small piece though, so once I determined I could at least cut the fronts and sleeves out of it, I rummaged my stash for something to use for the back and facings. I found a remnant of black stretch denim! Perfect. So here is my version of My Morris'd TNT in a stretch woven.
The fact that the flowers appear to match across the fronts is amazing, I could only fit them on the fabric in one way, each front edge was originally the selvage edge! I could not match the flower layout on the sleeves, but I like the randomness of it.
The back, cut on the fold, has 2 darts for shaping.
I did not have enough of the flower fabric to extend the lapels like on my first version. So these ones fold open much less. Which means I had to redraw the facings, which you can see below, I didn't quite make them deep enough! I remedied this by putting buttons on the flaps as they were folded out. This kind of holds everything together and keeps the minimal facings in place. Well that and I top stitched the facings down! I did no front closures, because I like the casualness of it just hanging open.
I lined just the back. I did this by just making 2 back pieces, one of outer fabric, one of the lining. Once the darts were sewn in both pieces, I serged them together, wrong sides facing, along all edges except the bottom 3" on each side and along the bottom. Then I just treated them as one piece. Leaving the bottom and bottom edges open, allowed me to hem the back and the lining separately. When I cut out the lining, I extended on the side that was cut on the fold by 1", which gave me 2" extra to form a pleat in center back for ease of movement.
I am loving my new jackets. Just about everyday in the office involves either a cardigan or a light jacket.
I really like the Grainline studios Morris blazer. Most of it anyway. It is a bit boxy but still, it is cute. I decided to 'Morris' my TNT jacket pattern. The red is my self drafted TNT jacket pattern, modeled off of a Target jacket from 2013.
My "Morris'd TNT
I decided, since I love the way this one fits, why not just alter it to have the styling of the Morris?
I am not exactly positive of the fabric, I bought it at JoAnns. It said it was a bengaline, but I am not sure. It is a pretty stable knit. I raised and extended the front center of the 'lapels' so they could be folded back. Below is what they look like when NOT folded back.
My jacket does not have an real collar like the Morris that extends all the way around the back, mine is collarless. I used a fusible knit interfacing, but only interfaced the portion of the facing that would not show as the lapels when folder over, and interfaced the actual front lapels, where they are now the underneath of the lapel fold over. So in essence, I only interfaced layers that would NOT be the exterior fabric layer.
Where my front darts run from apex to hem line, I just extended the dart lines to end in a point like the Morris.
I kept my back darts for shaping, cut the back on the fold, and shortened the center back about 3/4"
I love my new jacket!! I love that a few tweaks of a TNT is all it took! Well that and the style idea of Jen from Grainline!