Saturday, April 19, 2014

What do you get when you cross the Moss and the Maritime?

Moss-itime?  Mari-Moss? A dang cute skirt.  That is what I got.  I love both the Moss and the Maritime from Grainline Studios.  I like the front and back pockets on the shorts, the yolk and shaping of the skirt, the waistline of the shorts, and my TNT waistband adapted from V8774.  I also added a coin pocket, belt loops and cut on fly.  Below is the Moss pattern atop the Maritime, so I could get the shape of the skirt, with the upper front pocket and waistline from the shorts.  Then I made two skirts.  White and black. 


 
The white is from a remnant of stretch denim picked up at Joann's for $4.99.  There was less than a yard, so I had to forego the yolk, and had no material for back pockets, but I still like it.








 
The black is also of the same type of stretch denim, also from Joanns.  This was left over material after making a pair of cropped trousers adapted from V8774.  This time I had enough fabric for the yolk and back pockets!  Black is horribly hard to photograph and capture any details, so forgive the overexposed photos.







 
Here are the cropped trousers I adapted from the V8774.  I omitted the yolk and pockets in back and changed the front pocket to be slanted like on trousers.  I then shortened them by 5" (same amount I had to add to the original pattern to make them full length when making the jeans!)
 
 



 
And last, but not least..... I made a bag for my sister's birthday, which was inspired by a picture I saw on Pinterest.   The outer fabrics are both leftovers from shorts from the Maritime pattern.  The inside is just some cute quilting cotton that I thought contrasted beautifully.  The handles were premade, a buy from Joanns.  I put a large zip pocket on one side (white polka dots) and pockets of various sizes on the other side.  I also put a ring on the inside (upper left of bottom photo) you can barely see the striped denim it is attached to, it is for hanging her keys on, so they don't get lost in bottom of bag.  To give the base structure,  I used a flexible piece of plastic that comes in the fabric Joanns shopping bags that they give away now and then. It is sewn to the inner corners of the outer fabric before inserting the lining.





Stay Happy
Keep Sewing
and if you can't sew
Enjoy doing what you can do!
 
and for a little grandma eye candy....





 
 






















 

2 comments:

  1. I love that bag! LOVE!!!! I do not have the patience to sew bags. I stink at it.

    Your skirts - DROOL! They fit perfectly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those skirts are amazing. Your top stitching is perfect. You have really given me something to aspire to. Well done!!!

    ReplyDelete