Friday, May 8, 2015

More T's. Butterick 5493 collar with Renfrew body

Last month I culled my closet.  Huge bags to
 Goodwill.  I made myself let go of things I did not wear.  Even though I made them.  It was hard.  And cathartic.  Now as I wear something, when hanging it back in closet, I turn the hangar backwards.  After a month, it is more obvious the types of clothes I reach for daily, and the ones I have not yet reached for this month.  T shirts.  I wear them a lot.  Under cardigans and jackets.  I can feel casually dressed up and not sloppy.  So, that is why I have been making them lately.  The oldest clothes in my closet that I still reach for years later, are the nice T shirts that I have made. 
 
 
 
So here we are.  More T's.  Tanks actually.  Sleeveless tanks can be worn to work with a cardi or jacket, and by themselves on the weekends.  This black tank was 1 yard of 5.99 knit at Joanns.
 
For this B5493 collar, I did an altered bib, two of them, in different lengths.  No hemming on the bibs.  All cut out with my rotary cutter.  A first for me, and I really liked it!


 This neckband had the same issue as my summer dress.  It just waffled and would not lay flat.  So I again, folded the band to the outside and topstitched it down.  Now it looks like binding.

This second tank is also 1 yard from Joanns.  7.99 with coupon.  This neck band I did NOT have any issues with, no waffling.  I sure wish I knew what it was that causes it to work or not work!
 





 
If you are bored of seeing T's, I am sorry..... I know I have at least one more up my sleeve.... Then I think it is time for a black linen jacket.  Now just to find the right pattern.......
 
Stay Happy
Keep sewing
and if you can't sew
Hike Red Mountain, it is gorgeous.
 

3 comments:

  1. This Sarah Veblen Threads video has how to determine how long to make the binding so it lies flat every time; I have used it and it works! http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/3839/video-a-neckline-binding-for-knits

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kyle! I just watched the video, I will definitely be trying this technique on my next T!!

      Delete