Tuesday, January 6, 2015

April Rhodes Pop Over Poncho

I don't recall where I saw the Pop Over Poncho originally, but I immediately loved it. It is a slimmer fitting poncho, with a cowl neck, kangaroo pocket and the back hangs longer than front (my description, not the designer's)  I knew it would be an awesome Christmas gift for DD2.   Then I forgot about it.  Christmas started closing in... I did quite a few Google searches until I found out who created the pattern.  April Rhodes.  This is the only pattern of hers that appealed to me.  I bought it, $15.00. Kind of steep for a simple PDF pattern, but hey, I liked it and also...the instant gratification of print and tape and GO. 
 
I already had the perfect fabric.  This is a wool plaid that I picked up at a yard sale years ago.  Over 2 yards, .50.  I lined it with some mystery fabric that I also snatched at the yard sale for .50.  The cowl neck is lined with an old soft knit t-shirt of mine, and the cording is a shoe string my husband donated.  So despite the pricey PDF pattern, this gift came in at $16.00..
 
 
I cut the s/m, but with the length of the largest size, as it seems quite short as designed and I wanted a deep hem for added weight to help it hang nicely.  The hardest part of the whole thing was figuring out how to lay it out so that I could match the plaid pattern!  The shoulders look a bit odd on my double (KG2), as she has much wider shoulders than my daughter.


If I were to make this again, I would make the kangaroo pocket larger.  Wider AND deeper.  Below are pics with the cowl collar standing straight up (look at that pattern matching!!)  I now wish that I had redrawn the cowl to be taller in the back so that it could double as a hood.  It is also a close fit getting this over your head, so keep that in mind if you have a big head. 



 Below is the lining.  The pattern does not have you line it, but why not?  I just cut an extra front and back and then shortened them by a couple inches.  I think next time it would also be awesome to have a kangaroo pocket on the INSIDE of the lining, just a secret pocket for keeping your hands warm, or chocolates hidden. 

 
Here it is on DD2 (the red head is DD1)  She loved it.
 

 
Stay Happy
Keep Sewing
and if you can't sew
kiss a cute boy.
 

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Kyle! Cape, poncho I wonder what the difference is. It was a simple make. I might need one!

      Delete
  2. Great work on the plaid matching! This looks very cosy.

    ReplyDelete