Sunday, July 13, 2014

That was a fun ride! Archer, July 2014

 
I just finished my first Archer.  I enjoyed the whole process.  Printing, taping, tracing, contemplating pattern layout to maximize matching, sewing, studying, all of it.  I had the weekend pretty much to myself.  Sewing marathon.  I bought this pattern quite some time ago, and have been contemplating it.  Even bought fabric for it, more than once.  Next week we are going camping, and I thought that this pattern would be a great cover up.  Cool, fashionable sunscreen!  So this was my test Archer, at the very least, I would have a camping shirt!
 
I bought this fabric on sale at JoAnns.  $4.99 a yard.  I bought 3 yards.  It was 44" wide.   
Saturday morning
Sunday afternoon
I cut it out all single layer to make sure that I could match the plaid.  Lucky for me, this fabric had no wrong side!  This allowed me to use the reverse side as well, so that I could mirror the pattern across the front and sleeves.  I used almost all of it! 
 
 
I traced and cut a size 14.  I only made 3 alterations during the making.  I made the cuff about 1 3/4" shorter and slimmed the sleeve to match.  I added a dart in the front armscye on the fly, to remove excess fabric in the front.


Shortened the cuff to be 9" from buttonhole
marking to button marking
Added dart in armscye
         I read through Jen's sew along on the Grainline Studio blog.  I read the instructions.  I decided to follow her techniques for the collar.   
 



Look at this turned point!

 
Her instructions are similar to one I have followed from Gigi from Behind the Seams.  It was easy.  I think this is the best looking collar I have made yet.  Pretty inside and out. 

 
Since this will be for camping, and my trailer closet is a hanging type, I added a hanging tab for ease.
 

Inside back, with hanging tab
My best collar yet!
 
Back, I cut the back yoke on the bias.  I think I still need to work on more fitting on the back, there seems to be extra fabric in the back armscye area as well.  I think next time I also need to do a forward shoulder adjustment, but I am not sure how to do that with a yoke.

 

I think this is my favorite button up shirt yet.  I love it.  I have been wearing all afternoon and it is very comfortable.
 
 
Added button closure to front pocket
(had to shorten them as well due to a miss cut the first time
and then fabric shortage)

I did not follow the recommended button placement.  I usually figure out where I need a button across my bust, to eliminate gaping, and then I evenly space the remaining based upon that bust button placement.  


 

Love the cuff detail!

 
Sorry for the lame selfies, my DH is working.

 
Sleeves down
Sleeves rolled

 
Needless to say, I will be a happy camper!!!  
 
Stay Happy,
Keep Sewing,
and if you can't sew
Go Camping!!
 
 
 
I miss my sister!! 

 

5 comments:

  1. You have done a fantastic job on your Archer Kelly. From fitting to pattern matching to edge stitching. Beautiful work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jean, that really means a lot to me, because I really admire all that you make!

      Delete
  2. Very well done. I've never seen a better collar. I have been looking at them in ready-to-wear, and yours is better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look great in your wonderful new shirt. I am cutting out two shirts for my husband to sew up this summer and I hope I can get his collars to look as wonderful as yours. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete