Thursday, January 10, 2019

New Year, New Landers

New Year brings about a time for thoughtful change. I want to lend this change to my sewing. I began a journal with this years new sewing. I want to be present and thoughtful in my sewing. Not in a hurry to get done, without thoroughly being present and enjoying the whole process. It will also provide a documented history of each make, which hopefully will be valuable for future makes. 

I am sure my journaling will change as I move through this process. I am looking forward to that as well.
My first make this year is a pair of Landers. @truebias I believe this will be my third. I have a cropped black denim, a skinny leg denim and this pair is a bull denim from Cali Fabrics. 

 



I first thought that this would be a longer cropped version. So I added 1 1/4" to the length to play with  
  while cutting them out.
I love a button fly. I used Heather Lou's tutorial (closet Case Patterns).
 





 
  


When attaching the buttons, I like to ensure there 
will be enough slack for easy buttoning. To do this I 
place an old needle vertically under the button and 
leave it there will attaching the button. I use a 
horizontal pin to mark the placement I need. I used 

rolled up scotch tape to hold the button  in place so 
that I can get it all under my pressed foot. Once 
attached, I thread the 
threads onto a needle and pull them to the back of the fabric and tie them off.




Following the idea from Johanna Lou of the Last 
Stitch - I used my coverstitch machine to make the belt loops. I have a Cover Pro 1000 CP by Janome and don't use it often enough. I had to do a couple 
test runs to get the tension right, but it was a lot easier than I thought it would be.




I machine embroidered Landers 2019 on my waistband facing. The R embroidered on top of the E but I am Good with that. Lol.


Once I tried on my pants, I decided I liked the exact length they were, which meant I had no fabric for a hem! So I added 2 1/2" to each leg to use as the 
hem.






They ended up the perfect length. So in all, these are 7 3/4" longer than the original pattern. I really like the look of the long fuller leg.








So first make of the new year is complete. I 
thoroughly enjoyed the whole process and I believe that these are my favorite #landerpants yet!
Stay Happy
Keep Sewing
And if you can't sew

Knit! 

3 comments: